Sunday, October 16, 2011

"The Snitch, Houdini and Me: Humorous Tales of Death-defying Childhood Misadventure" by Johnny Virgil






*****

Several weeks ago, Holly won a book. I'm not sure where she won it but I believe it was on Twitter. She enjoyed it so much she bought me a copy for my Kindle. 

"The Snitch, Houdini and Me: Humorous Tales of Death-defying Childhood" by Johnny Virgil was as funny as Holly said it was.  Virgil tells the tales of growing up in the 70's. It reminded me so much of stories I've heard of people growing up in the 50's and 60's. Let's face it folks it was a different time. Life was fun. Kids explored neighborhoods and woods - not sex and drugs. They got spankings and were able to get by with harmless (?) pranks. 

His tales are funny and innocent. Just the way it should be for kids. When did we start taking childhood so seriously? When did we stop letting kids fight it out on the playground? Which has backfired on us and now they fight it out in a much meaner way. - Maybe I'm the one that is off center but to me it would be much better to have a black eye than horrible things said or questionable pictures posted on phones and computers.

Even though Virgil's stories are great fun - and many you'll be repeating - he does use lots of "bad" language. So for my friends that would rather do without the language - you probably don't want to pick this book up. But for those of you that can overlook some language - I highly recommend you pick this book up for a good laugh. - and depending on your age, it will bring back some great memories!

Johnny Virgil also has a blog you can follow HERE. 

He has a way with words and he has a way to make you laugh. Laughter always makes me feel better and I felt great reading his stories. 



No comments:

Post a Comment