Monday, February 27, 2012

Flight For Control by Karlene Petitt






One of my childhood friends, Dr. Jean Ann French sent me a message via facebook one day telling me that a friend of hers just had a novel published. That's how I met "Flight For Control" by Karlene Petitt.

The first novel of Petitt was published in February, 2012 by Jet Star Publishing. It's very easy to read and moves fast!

Synopsis:
"After a ten-year leave, Kathryn Jacobs has been invited back to the N.T.S.B to investigate a series of unexplained airline crashes. But her husband, Captain Bill Jacobs, has his concerns. While her twin daughters are off at camp, and Bill is actively campaigning for the Pilot Union Presidency, Kathryn secretly begins her investigation. What she learns will shock the nation.

Flight For Control is a thriller that reads like a mystery. But to Kathryn, there is no mystery on the condition of the airline industry—it’s broken. Planes are crashing. Pensions are lost. Pilots are financially and emotionally bankrupt due to fatigue, furloughs, and loss of seniority.

It’s time that someone takes control before it’s too late—unless it already is."


This is the synopsis that should attract the attention of the reader. - My personal opinion is that it just doesn't do the book justice. The synopsis seems rather ho-hum but trust me when I say this book is anything but ho-hum.

Have you ever read a book that while reading you just had to set it down and get up and walk around for awhile - or find something else to do for a bit - to think about what you just read - to calm your fast pulse? THIS is that kind of book. It made me nervous, it made me think, it made me mad!! It was a great read!   : ) 

- Yes, I talk to the television, too! "DON'T DO THAT..." - conversations of that nature! I talked to the lead character, Kathryn a lot while reading this book! Or maybe Yelled at her is a better description! Granted, sometimes I just yell in my head. Randy hasn't decided I'm completely crazy. (yet).. 

I will admit, I don't have much knowledge on the Aviation Industry. This book opened my eyes to much of what Pilots go through. Other than "The Pilot's Wife" by Anita Shreve I've not read books on this subject. This was very interesting. - not too much aviation information so you don't get bored but enough woven throughout the intrigue and mystery of the book to make it interesting. 

I especially liked the story throughout that  shows the reader how strong friendships are not to be taken for granted. How they really do give you strength - support - encouragement - you know, all that stuff that friendships are made of. Over the last few years, it's my friends that encouraged me, gave me comfort and just listened, laughed and cried with me.  I have a fondness for books that have strong friendships involved. - Petitt's book did not disappoint.

Karlene Petitt is a wife, mother, pilot, and now author. "Flight For Control" is her first novel and a very good one! She mentions in the credits at the back of the book that William Barnhardt  "... taught me how to walk before I could fly. His week of intensive training in Hawaii taught me how to write fiction.... (he) pointed me down the right path."  William Barnhardt is one of my favorite authors so for me - that was an added stamp of approval for Petitt's book! You can read about William Barnhardt HERE.

For more information on Karlene Petitt and her first novel check HERE.

I didn't notice bad language, the book does contain some sex!

I Highly recommend this new author, Karlene Petitt

I Highly recommend her book, Flight For Control

***** 

 



4 comments:

  1. I finished it last night because I couldn't put it down! The bad news is I was in chapter 40 where Bill was getting ready to crash the plane into Seattle when I was on a plane approaching Seattle. How about THAT for bad timing!? Jean Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy and Brenda, Thank you so very much for the great review. I am so appreciative! And so glad you love my debut novel. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did a great job with this book! I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading more from you!

      Delete