Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Book Club



I met my friend Debra when she first came to book club in 1999. We were at the same FIRST meeting of "The Book Club."  Those of you who know me know I love my book club. - And I've blogged about our book club and book clubs in general many times.

 The Book Club
April 2011
Charolette Buller, Diane Goodwin, Debra Blakley, Brenda Cohorn, Pam McCaskey and Charlotte Leiser
Judy Dunn - not shown

Anyway, Debra did a blog on book clubs and I just wanted to let my readers know about it. You can find it HERE.  Check out her writings on Book Clubs.

I remember as a young girl, my mom attended a Home Extension Club. They met every month and had lessons about sewing, cooking, being good mothers, etc. She still keeps up with some of the women she met over the years.

I also remember in 1984 (?) maybe '85, I had the opportunity to sit in on some recordings of Dr. James Dobson. In his wisdom he spoke about some of the differences of men and women and how important it is for women to have friends. (He didn't leave the men out, but I'm not speaking about men right now.) I believe that my mom's extension club was important for the friendships of women. I believe the modern day equivalent of the Home Extension Club is the book club. - or any other club you want to come up with.

Camaraderie is so important for us. Sharing our lives, our struggles, our accomplishments - with women we love and trust. I know that depression is very rampant in women today, some of this may be eliminated with a group of good friends that love you.

Debra's blog is very good. She speaks from years of experience. Read her blog and together with the idea of building a community of friends I urge you to start a book club or invite yourself to one!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment