Wednesday, June 6, 2012

These Foolish Things (The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel) by Deborah Moggach



I had been looking forward to seeing this movie from the first time I saw an advertisement on TV for it. When it came to Wichita, we went the first day. It was a Friday afternoon and the theater was filled! First time I've been to a movie in Wichita that I've actually felt a bit crowded. (except in "The Hunger Games") And this "crowding" was comfortable because everyone in this movie was "our age"!!  or older! Nothing makes you feel young like going to a movie filled with "older" people!!! Actually - they probably said the same about me. ANYWAY - to get back to my review.

The next week, I bought the book on my Fire and read it.

I LOVED the movie. Some of my very favorite actresses in it. Maggie Smith, Dame Judy Dench, and Penelope Wilton. The book had many more characters than the movie and they combined several together for the movie. - I did have to make a list of the characters in the book to keep them straight. (that would be the age thing again!)

The book was written by Deborah Moggach and titled "These Foolish Things."

Synopsis:  (from Deborah Moggach's website that you can visit HERE. )


"THESE FOOLISH THINGS (Chatto and Windus £12.99)
This is my latest novel. It came about because I’d been thinking a lot about growing older, about what is going to happen to us all. The population is ageing – for the first time the over 50s outnumber the rest of us – and it’s getting older. Where are we all going to live? Care homes are closing, pensions are dwindling, and life expectancy is rising. Then I had a brainwave. We live in a global age – the internet, cheap travel, satellite TV…when it comes to goods and services it hardly matters where we live. “Geography is history.” Our healthcare is sourced from the developing countries; how about turning the tables and outsourcing the elderly? How about setting up retirement homes in developing countries where it’s sunny and labour is cheap? So I created an Indian whizz-kid called Sonny who sets up a retirement home in Bangalore and fills it with Brits."


I loved the movie. It quickly became my favorite! Even over my old standby quotable movie of all time "Steel Magnolias."  


A couple of unforgettable quotes from the movie:
"Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not all right, then it is not yet the end."   Sonny
Or Maggie Smith as Muriel responding to an orderly:
Orderly: My wife is from Mumbai.

Muriel:  Well don't blame me, you married her!

Often, if I like the book, I won't go to the movie because it usually disappoints. I mean very seldom do flesh and blood actors/actresses meet the expectations I have built with my imagination! But this time, I went about it backwards. The movie first - then the book.

I loved the book, too. It was easy to read and once I got past the reality of  more characters and different ones than the movie I settled back and had a good time. Once I figured out who was who, it was a very enjoyable read. 

Maybe it's because I'm 59, I don't know. I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it as much if I were in my 30's. But I am reaching the age of "what's next". I'm retired and am doing great. Busy, busy busy. But what happens in a few years? I watched as we dealt with my mother-in-law as she suffered with dementia and was living in a care facility. It was never easy.

Of course, we all hope that we won't be in that position, but who knows what will come. 

The book doesn't answer these questions but Moggach does a terrific job of letting her readers see that life does NOT end just because you are over 60 - 70 - 80... It doesn't end just because you may be in a wheel chair. Moggach gives hope - and she's funny. 

The book addresses all that we have a tendency to pretend we don't notice - race,  mortality, sex. Love between older people. Or if we do notice, so many times we look away and pretend we didn't see. The book helps you look at these rites of passage with humor and more importantly understanding. I hope if you read it you will look at "old age" more patiently and wait for it with excitement!


Deborah Moggach has written several books and I plan on reading more from this author. Her children have long since grown up and she lives near Hampstead Heath, England. She also loves biking around London.

I really encourage you to go to her website. Her biography is so good and it seems as if she becomes your friend!! Very personable! I enjoyed her book and I've enjoyed her website. 



I highly recommend the movie
"The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel"

I VERY highly recommend her book
"These Foolish Things"
or can also be found under the title
"The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel"

*****




 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Brenda, thanks so much for your lovely email – and the review which I’ve just read and enjoyed. I’m so glad you liked both the movie and the book – which, as you say, is vastly different. The film’s success has taken Hollywood by surprise, but we could have told them that there’s a vast audience out there, of mature years (!), who do go to the movies and want something that reflects their lives, couldn’t we? The whole experience has been thrilling, so many emails, so many people who’ve laughed and been moved, I really didn’t expect it. so thanks again, and all best wishes Deborah Moggach

    ReplyDelete