Monday, August 20, 2012

The United States Presidents





If you know me at all, you know at least three things about me.

  1. I'm a mother
  2. I'm a reader
  3. I am incredibly fortunate to have met this wonderful man I married - and that I am very very happy!!
There are WAY TOO MANY reasons that I love this man for me to put them here in a blog - but I will tell you about one of the reasons!!

He likes to read! Maybe not as much as me, but he is a reader. Randy also likes history. Now he likes history as much as I like reading!! The best way for him to learn more history is by reading!!! A match made in heaven! : )   (We also enjoy visiting museums.)

 At the Watkins Museum in Lawrence, KS

We started picking up a few "history" books while we were shopping for our used book business. I have tried to talk him into doing some book reviews on these books but he isn't interested!! Takes him too much time and once he finishes a book he moves on to the next. No time to review!! A few that he started with are:

"Going Home to Glory A Memoir of Life with Dwight D Eisenhower" 
by David Eisenhower with Julie Nixon

"Dutch" by Edmond Morris
(@ Ronald Reagan)

"Lincoln" by David Herbert Donald

"Decision Points" by George W Bush

"The Family, The Real Story of the Bush Dynasty" by Kitty Kelley
 "My Name is America 
The Journal of Rufus Rowe
A Witness to the Battle of Fredricksburg, Bowling Green, Virginia 1862"
by Sid Hite

"1776" by David McCullough

"Truman" by David McCullough
 

"Mornings on Horseback" by David McCullough
(@ Theodore Roosevelt)

The Theodore Roosevelt Trilogy
"The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt"
"Theodore Rex"
"Colonel Roosevelt"
by Edmond Morris

By this time, my dear husband was hooked!





He decided he wanted to read a book about each one of our presidents. He had already read about George Washington, so he began with:

"John Adams" by David McCullough

"Thomas Jefferson" by R.B. Bernstein

"James Madison" by Richard Brockhiser

"James Monroe: The American Presidents Series: The 5th President 1817-1825"
by Arthur M Schlesinger and Gary Hart

"John Quincy Adams"
American Profiles by H.W. Brands

"Andrew Jackson: His Life and Times" by H.W. Brands

"William Henry Harrison: The American Presidents Series: The 9th President 1841"
by Gail Collins, Arthur M Schlesinger, Sean Wilentz, Gary May

"John Tyler: The American Presidents Series: the 10th President, 1841-1845"
by Arthur M Schlesinger, Sean Wilentz, Gary May

"Polk: The Man Who Transformed the Presidency and America"
by Walter R Borneman

"Zachary Taylor: The American Presidents Series: The 12th President, 1849-1850"
by Arthur M Schlesinger, Sean Wilentz, John Eisenhower

"Millard Fillmore: The American Presidents Series: The 13th President, 1850-1853"
by Arthur M Schlesinger, Sean Wilentz, Paul Finkelman

and he's now reading:
"Franklin Pearce: The American Presidents Series: The 14th President, 1853-1857"
by Arthur M Schlesinger, Michael F Holt, Sean Wilentz 

Well, as you can see, my dear husband has far out-read me!! He left me in the dust!! We're not sure how it happened but he skipped Martin Van Buren. So he will need to back track a bit at some point.

I think what amazes me most about Randy's reading is that I can pick one of these presidents out of the air and he can tell me about the book. I would be getting them all mixed up but he doesn't! 

So, we don't have a review of each book but if you are interested, message us and he will be glad to tell you his view about any President that you have a question about.




2 comments:

  1. Wow. What a project! How nice to have someone who is perfectly happy to sit quietly in a room and read together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debra, He says its on his bucket list!!

    ReplyDelete