Monday, September 17, 2012

Donovan's Trail by Ann Snuggs






Every once in a while, Holly, one of my daughter's, will send me an e-book. This is always a nice surprise and I love getting them.

This last week she sent me a text and said a friend of hers from Texas had written a book and she (Holly) had sent it to me via Kindle.

Well, years ago I got hooked on Louis L'Amour books and have always enjoyed them. I go back once in a while and re-read my favorites. Not long ago I wrote a review on one of my favorites and you can read it H.E.R.E

Now, one time - again years ago - I tried another western by another author and I did NOT like it. Louis L'Amour just had a talent for writing good clean westerns.

So when I received this e-book by Ann Snuggs - I was a bit reluctant. I told Holly if I liked it I would review it - but if I didn't I wouldn't because I wouldn't want to embarrass her with her friend.

I said all that to say this - I LIKED IT!!! : )


"Tom Donovan takes after his father, who was also sheriff of Sundown years ago and who possessed a strong sense of right and wrong. Unlike his father, however, Tom is alive. John Donovan, gunned down in Tom's youth by a man the boy looked up to as a hero, left a legacy of justice. But his murder left behind the need for revenge. Tom's moral fortitude is put to the test when his father's killer reappears years later. The man who once was Tom's hero but now was his bitterest of enemies has become one of the fiercest villains in the West. And this time his schemes threaten to undo the family of Tom's sweetheart, Katie. Tom, together with his father's old partner and now Sundown's deputy, Ben, must not only track and face down the most cold-blooded outlaw in his neck of the wild West, but he must also fight the urge to become a murderer himself. With Tom's relationship, the well-being of his friends and his own life at risk, the greatest stake of all is the soul of a good man."

It was easy and quick to read and was just a good old fashioned western. It caught my interest right away and kept it until the end.

It was easy to picture the towns, the hideouts and um-hum - the cowboys! As a young girl growing up in rural Oklahoma I was determined NOT to marry a cowboy... But, I don't mind looking at them - whether in books, movies or in person!!

Snuggs has a good story to tell and she tells it well. She throws in a small amount of romance but not too much to take away from the wild west story.

She takes good vs evil and lets us walk those dirt streets with Tom and Ben and we as we are cheering for the good guys we also understand many of the raw feelings of revenge and our nature of unforgiveness. 

This is an author to watch for. I believe she has great talent and I hope to be reading more from her in the future.


*****

No comments:

Post a Comment