Monday, February 4, 2013

Mennonite Girls Can Cook



Not only does this book look cheerful - it is very uplifting to read and browse through. It started as a blog that you can read H.E.R.E.
"Mennonite Girls Can Cook is filled with more than a hundred enticing and easy-to-use recipes that are bound to become trusted favorites. Combine these with the many personal stories and colorful photos and you have a close kitchen companion. Join the authors on a delightful journey that's much more about hospitality than entertaining - about blessing, not impressing.  It's all about passing God's bounty on to family and friends."

A picture of the authors:
Lovella Schellenberg, Anneliese Friesen, Judy Wiebe, Betty Reimer, Bev Klassen, 
Charlotte Penner, Ellen Bayles, Julie Klassen, Kathy McLellan, Marg Bartel


I was not raised in a Mennonite Church but I did graduate from a Mennonite High School. So over the years I've always cooked a few "Mennonite" dishes that I learned during my teen years. So when I found this blog, I was thrilled and ordered their book. I have not been disappointed. The recipes are easy - if you enjoy cooking! They are very good and the personal stories and pictures make the book so personal. 

I am not a cookbook reader. But, I did enjoy reading through this cookbook. 
"...Our lives were enriched by the people we entertained." Anneliese
"When my beloved began coming over for dinner when we were dating, my mom would make this soup for him. I often think that this soup secured the eventual proposal of marriage. I still make it for him when I want to serve him something special." Lovella
" I am reminded not to rush as I read the Bible, but to let my mind absorb God's goodness and allow it to nourish my soul.  God's love is worth savoring." Betty

I could go on and on with wonderful quotes from this book. But I will let you get your own and enjoy it in the comfort of your kitchen!

Included on the dedication page it says " All author royalties from Mennonite Girls Can Cook will be donated to charity to feed hungry children." This is a win/win!!

On the website it tells where one can order the book. I ordered mine from Amazon for $16.49. Which is a great price for such a beautiful book.

This is a book for every woman's collection and it will also make a beautiful gift.

I've fixed 4 items so far and they were DELICIOUS!!! 

I fixed the blueberry scones that were wonderful! I made them to eat while watching Downton Abbey! 

We had a fish fry at church and I made a cole slaw out of this book that everyone enjoyed.

I made meat pinwheels with a cheese sauce. All I have to say us YUM. I think I will be trying the cheese sauce with other dishes. It was unbelievable.

I made homemade noodles last week. I loved them. Randy and Andru thought they were too stiff. (that was the cook's fault and not the recipe!) 
 
Whether you collect cookbooks or not, this is a great addition to any kitchen.

 
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment