Monday, February 25, 2013

The Misadventures of Cardinal Fratelli by Rachel Marie Gohlman




I found this book through a response from "The Cardinal" on one of my 1000+ Gifts posts! So I started following the thread that runs through the internet to get more information on this Cardinal. I mean after all, if a Cardinal comments on your blog - you sit up and take notice! Especially if you've only been in Catholic Churches for weddings and funerals! 

That's when I discovered that the Cardinal is a fictitious character. I was hooked on the idea of reading about him in Rachel Marie Gohlman's first book "The Misadventures of Cardinal Fratelli."

You know how I like "funny" and he sounded funny - plus, can one lose with a clumsy Cardinal? -  so I got the first book in this series and that's how I met personally the "Cardinal!"


"Set in the 19th century, in picturesque Italy, this comic writing follows the daily life and blunders of one Cardinal Angelo Fratelli. He is devout, young, handsome and experiences many trials partly because of his excitability and because of his snobby Aunt Francine.

Suddenly, Michele, a dear, childhood friend, comes around and doesn’t get the hint he is unavailable. Fratelli must hatch a plan to get her married off so she leaves him alone- also while proving himself to parishioners and various, other clergy.

Lots of laughs and misadventures" 


I'm not very well learned in the Catholic Church so this was not only a fun book about the Cardinal, it was also my Catholic 101 lesson! 

For example:
At first I was a bit surprised at this actions toward his Aunt Francine until I really stopped and thought through what she was trying to do - which was to marry him off to carry on the family name! Plus - it took me a minute to figure out the "importance" of a Cardinal.  Okay, okay, I have never said I'm a smart protestant.. 

 
You can find the Cardinal's blog H.E.R.E


Author Biography: 
"I have enjoyed writing all my life usually in the fantasy genre. Creating my own worlds and seeing beyond this world is something I regularly do.

Now I am experimenting with horror and comedy using my Catholic faith as a theme. I also write poetry about a variety of religious, natural and philosophical subjects. Hopefully, I will be publishing a book of my poetry soon which will be peppered with illustrations using my own art.

I am a graduate from Bradley University with a Bachelor's in science. My concentration was Studio Arts."



I am not a fan of the fantasy or horror genre's but Gohlman's Cardinal Fratelli series isn't either and will become a favorite with those that enjoy a funny light read.






1 comment:

  1. Why thank you very much for your kind words. I am glad you found the book funny and educational.


    It is well okay not understanding the more delicate sensitivities that I felt towards my aunt trying to marry me off-still-at 34...one commented on the book series had flat out asked why I didn't get married. Thus was time for a "facepalm"

    Thank you and God bless!

    ReplyDelete