Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Litigators by John Grisham

*****

Ever since I was a young girl, I have loved watching TV shows about lawyers. I remember as a young girl, when Perry Mason would come on I would get my small suitcase - which became a rather dignified briefcase! mounds of paper, a card table and would become a lawyer while helping him with his case. I'm not sure he would have ever won without me in Oklahoma helping him along. 

So, when John Grisham started publishing his books about lawyers, I was hooked. I scoff at critics who say if you've read one Grisham - you've read them all.  NOT SO. Each case is individual, each case is important! And I enjoy a world where the good guy always wins! - another proof of "fiction".

November, Grisham came out with his 25+ book, The Litigators. Several of his books aren't about lawyers - I've enjoyed those, too, but my favorites are the ones where Grisham weaves a case and I get to watch the lawyers battle it out.

The Litigators did not disappoint me. David Zinc quickly became one of my favorite Grisham characters. -  The good guy winning.

David, a young but already burned-out attorney, walks away from his fast-track career at a fancy downtown firm, goes on a serious bender, and finds himself literally at the doorstep of Finley and Figg. 

Finley and Figg, Attorneys of Law, often refer to themselves as “a boutique law firm.” Boutique, as in chic, selective, and prosperous. They are, of course, none of these things. What they are is a two-bit operation always in search of their big break, ambulance chasers who’ve been in the trenches much too long making way too little. Their specialties, so to speak, are quickie divorces and DUIs, with the occasional jackpot of an actual car wreck thrown in. 

I really enjoyed reading this book. It's a typical Grisham novel but if you enjoy reading about lawyers as much as I do - it's a winner!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this. We (meaning the Book Club)were discussing it as an option for our January book and most people seemed ready to pull the trigger and then one person said, 'Nope. I read it and didn't like it. We shouldn't read it.' And just that easily people were swayed. :[
    Oh, those who speak with that voice of authority that silences all other voices. I don't like it. I will bring this up again and fight for this book's right to be read. Grrr.....

    ReplyDelete