Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Help by Katherine Stockett

*****
  "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett (fiction) just came out in a movie on August 10, 2011. This was our February 2010 choice for the book club I attended in Oklahoma. I must start by saying I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Stockett creates three extraordinary women in Mississippi in the 1960's and showed how their lives touched in a way not usual for that day and time.

It's the story of black women - "the help" - raising white children but not allowed to use their restrooms. It tells the good and the bad about working for these families. 

It also lets us have a better understanding about the pressure put on white women to marry and have a family. If one was "fortunate" to graduate from college without getting married, she was still discouraged in having a career. The main goal is MARRIAGE.

Stockett presents a look of the racial conflicts that were going on then and unfortunately still continue in many places. A book that will make you think. At the same time, easy to read. Stockett's words flow on the pages. You will remember for a long time the stories of Skeeter, Aibileen, and Minnie.

Because I enjoyed the book so much, I was anxiously waiting for the movie. Now, many times if I really like a book, I hesitate to see the movie. It seems the directors never choose the right actors for the job! :)     So when a "movie from book" comes out, I watch the commercials and if the characters "look right" for the parts, I see the movie!! I liked what I saw in the commercials.

I really liked what I saw on the big screen. It's been over a year since I read the book - but I was taken back into this world of prejudice against those of another race and of women.  It was a movie that makes you laugh, cry and wonder how people survive with their prejudices.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment