Wednesday, January 9, 2013

BANNED BOOKS WEEK: SEPT 25 - OCT 2

I first published this on September 27, 2010

The actual "burning" of books is not as common as it once was. "Challenging" books is what is considered  "PC" now.  Asking a library or school to remove a book - just because you don't like it is not a good enough reason. However, asking for a book to be moved to a more age appropriate area is acceptable.


When we lived in  Indiana, my 3rd grader - an avid reader - brought home a book from the school library.  I often read the books my kids brought home so I would be aware of what they were putting into their minds.  This book - I don't remember the title or the author,  was totally inappropriate for my 3rd grader. It was written for grades 7 -12, which was the reading level of my 3rd grader.  Ages on books usually mean reading level and often don't include an age appropriate story. It's important to stay on top of what our children are reading.


I asked the librarian at the school to please consider putting this book into the older age group.  She was concerned with being a "book burner".  So I suggested she read the book and pointed out that I wasn't asking her to "ban" the book just put it into the age appropriate library. She did read the book and agreed it wasn't appropriate for a school housing k-6 grades.


There are many books I think are inappropriate. So I don't bring them into my home or into my life. However, I know that if I "ban" these books there will be someone out there wanting to ban books that I think are very appropriate. I want the right to choose what I want to read. I want my children and my grandchildren to have that same right.


Wouldn't it be wonderful if we lived in a perfect world? One where we didn't have to concern ourselves with appropriate reading material, or appropriate television shows or movies. But we live in a world where some set out to be deceivers and the truth is not in them. These are the ones we need to protect our young children from. It's not the school's responsibility or the public library's responsibility to monitor what my child reads for pleasure. That's my responsibility. It's my responsibility to make sure what goes into their young minds is appropriate for the lifestyle I am creating for this young mind. No one else is responsible just me.


Make sure you are living up to your responsibilities
and not expecting someone else to do your job.

No comments:

Post a Comment