Monday, January 7, 2013

The Mitford Books by Jan Karon

I first published this review on April 4, 2010

Jan Karon says that she is always being asked if Mitford is real - she always says yes.  People who actually care about each other are everywhere, all the time. Generosity, kindness and good cheer can be found many places.

Everyone should have the opportunity to visit Mitford and to meet Father Tim.  My friend Diane from book club says every time she opens a Mitford book to read - she feels as if she's come home.

There are nine books in this series beginning with At Home In Mitford.  I know that for many of you a series is very daunting. However, the Mitford series is so easy to read and so comfortable that I would challenge you to at least read the first one before you shrug them off as "too much".

These books tell the story of Father Tim, his huge dog Barnabas, his nosy church secretary, a lovable but unloved boy and all who live in Mitford.  Their struggles, their accomplishments.  Karon's books are rich in comedy and in truths.

Christianity Today says "I have learned a lot about how to pray and how to deal with my passions and my enemies from reading Karon's novels."

Father Tim was the inspiration for me to start my "Quote Journal."  He's an amazing but not perfect man. Anytime you are "homesick" pick up a Mitford book. 

This is a favorite gift of mine to give.

I highly recommend this series.
Some Father Tim wisdom: 
When asked "What is sin?"  Father Tim answered "Sin comes about because of its middle letter 'I'.  It's the seeking of our own will instead of the will of God."

Dewey: "Can you fill us in on the concept of prayer?"
Father Tim: "Prayer is getting into relationship with God."
Dewey: "Isn't it about asking God for things we want and letting God know what's what?"
Father Tim: "No sir, He already knows what we want and what we need. Prayer is about getting to know Him and worshipping Him, and trusting Him and thanking Him."

My personal favorite:
"Whenever I find myself in the cellar of affliction, I always look about for the wine."  Samuel Rutherford quoted by Father Tim in "Home to Holly Springs".

And:
"He prayed me into a good frame of mind and if he had stopped there it would have been very well, but  he prayed me out of it again by keeping on."  George Whitefield in "Patches of God Light" 

No comments:

Post a Comment