Wednesday, January 9, 2013

This Time Together Laughter & Reflection by Carol Burnett

I first published this review May 3, 2011 

I heard someone talking about this book - and how much they were enjoying it... but for the life of me, I can not remember who it was. So I don't know who to thank for the recommendation!

Many of you, like me, grew up watching The Carol Burnett show. Well, actually I didn't "grow up" watching her, it ran for 11 years from 1967 to 1979. I was in high school when the show started and by the time it ended I had 3 children!

She is one of the funniest comedians there is. When did comedy become so irreverent? Carol's comedy was fresh - clean and  just plain thigh - slapping funny.

In "This Time Together" she tells about "breaking" into show business and all the wonderful people she has had the privilege of working with. A very positive upbeat book that brought back many memories of her shows.

She touches a bit on her family but her home life is told in her book "One More Time: A Memoir".

She does talk about Nanny, her grandmother a little bit. My favorite "Nanny" story included the fact that Nanny at age 81 had a boyfriend of 41!  What a woman!!

I greatly enjoyed the recounting of her first meeting with Vicki Lawrence.  When she first met Cary Grant she was so tongue tied and couldn't speak - finally blurting out "you are a credit to your profession."

Who can forget: Tim Conway as the new Dentist with Harvey as the patient? Tim shooting himself with the Novocaine. Or the very famous and one of my personal favorites - the "Gone With the Wind" costuming.  This scene has been called one of the funniest moments in the history of TV comedy.

She lets us see in "This Time Together" that even though she is a "star," an Icon to many - she really is just like you and I.

I know many people that are outgoing and can speak to anyone but there are those of us that are shy and often just don't feel "worthy" of someones attention so we don't speak, don't acknowledge we see someone and are often mistaken for being snobs. When in fact, we just don't believe the other person would have time or want to take the time for us to speak to them. We feel embarrassed - shy. I'm this way but not as bad as I used to be.I see this same shyness,  attitude, this same insecurity in Carol's story. 

She points out that what they had in the 1960's and 1970's couldn't be duplicated on TV today. I agree, and isn't it a shame.

A woman in the spotlight as much as Carol, has to have had her share of negative instances. Paparazzi snooping, bad reviews, no privacy. All the negative things that goes with the position of a public career. 

BUT

This is one of the most positive books I've ever read. It's short, it's a fast read and not a negative comment about anyone on the pages.

Instead you read things like:

          "After a tragedy, Beverly Sills answered when asked how she always seemed so happy, "I'm not necessarily happy but I always try to be cheerful."

          When fighting cancer, her daughter said. "Everyday I wake up and decide: today I'm going to love   my life."

          Mitzie Welch told Carol that when she goes to bed at night she counts 3 gratefuls for the day she has lived through."


What a great philosophy for us to live by.
 Three gratefuls.. Nothing complicated. Just Thankful.


I am grateful for Randy.
I am grateful for my family. (that is even bigger now!!)
I am grateful for the opportunity to have enjoyed Carol Burnett



No comments:

Post a Comment