Monday, January 7, 2013

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

I first published this review on March 8, 2010  

Randy Pausch was a Professor at Carnegie Mellon. Many professors are asked to give talks titled "The Last Lecture." They are to think of dying and speak on what matters most to them. - Which then would give young people the opportunity to think about where they are going in their lives and what legacy they want to leave.

When Randy was asked to do his "Last Lecture" he had just been diagnosed with terminal cancer.  His beautiful wife didn't want him to do the lecture because she knew it would take precious time away from his family. But he felt compelled to do it and she supported him. - He didn't lecture on "dying" but on "achieving your dreams." He did it for his children. He did it with humor, inspiration and intelligence. 

It is a wonderful book. It's a book that I've given to each of my kids and to several friends. Is it redundant to say it's one of my favorite books?  :)  

His lecture can also be seen on line - but of course, I suggest the book. It tells so much about his life and decisions he made and why he made them.

The lecture was given on September 18, 2007 and Professor Pausch died on July 25, 2008 at 48 years old.

Nothing I can say in a blog can express how much this book touched me.

I highly recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment