Thursday, January 10, 2013

“God’s Shelter For Your Storm” by Sheila Walsh

I first published this review July 5, 2011


If you have always had a perfect life, have never experienced any problems, then this book isn’t for you. However, if you have lived real life like the rest of us, I highly recommend “God’s Shelter For Your Storm” by Sheila Walsh.

“The storms of life are not discriminating. We all experience them no matter our age or status.” This first sentence of her book describes the subject she addresses in this small, easy to read book of encouragement.

She directs us to ten of God’s promises that we can stake our lives on. She presents each promise that pertains to storms in our lives and with the experiences of many that are living above the storm through the strength of God.  

I’ve been raised on the Bible. I have gone to Sunday school, small groups and women’s Bible studies for most of my life. I am going to make a confession here – I have never said it aloud before and definitely have never written it for others to see… But, when I’m reading a book that includes Bible verses, I often just skim over the verses because once I see which passage of Scripture it is, I know what they are trying to say.

Sheila includes the Scripture in such a way that I didn’t want to skim over God’s Word. She made it an interesting part of what she was saying.  We’ve all read authors that state their agenda and find a verse to fit what they are saying. Not Sheila, she takes God’s Truth and weaves her story and the story of others into His Word. – His promises that we can stake our lives on.

Sheila Walsh, Women of Faith speaker, is also the author of several books. You can learn more about her HERE.  She is also a woman that lives a life just like you or I. Not one time reading this book did I feel as if she was holding herself up to a higher level than the average reader.  (I know, we’ve all read at least one of those authors, right?)  She seems to be a real person, not an unattainable superstar.

A few years ago, I was living in constant turmoil and upheaval. I called on God’s strength and perseverance to help me through my husband’s infidelity and ultimate divorce. Many times my prayer was “I just don’t know what to pray, but you know my heart, God.” I see “God’s Shelter For Your Storm” being such a comfort.  This truly is a book that can help guide you in surviving the storms of life.

I liked this book. I am already planning on keeping a few extra copies on hand to give as gifts to those I know who need a reminder of God's promises.  It’s comforting, it’s encouraging – it’s about God’s truth.

My favorite “quote” from the book is,
“... rules might give us some order, but love and grace make life worth living.”

Leave a comment about why you think you might like to read this book or give it as a gift and your name will be put in a drawing for a free copy. The drawing for the free copy will close on Monday, July 11.

Thank you Overture Media/Thomas Nelson for providing a free copy for review process.
http://overture-media.com/
Opinions expressed are strictly those of Cohorn Recollections
and are not influenced by outside sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment