Monday, January 7, 2013

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

I first published this review on April 18, 2010

Mary Ann Shaffer, who passed away in February 2008, worked as an editor, as a librarian, and in bookshops. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was her first novel. Her niece, Annie Barrows, says she grew up in a family of storytellers. She says in her family there is no such thing as a yes-or-no question. Even asking someone to pass the butter without a story was unheard of. To Annie, her Aunt Mary was the best of the storytellers. She wrote this book and became ill. The book's editor requested some changes that required some rewriting, Mary Ann knew that she didn't have the stamina to undertake the re-write so asked her niece, Annie - the other writer in the family to do it for her.

Mary Ann said the seed for this book was planted quite by accident. She was traveling to England to research another book - on a whim, she flew to Guernsey and was fascinated by the history and beauty of this island.

Shaffer has done a fantastic job of making this Island real and come alive. It begins in 1946 when Juliet Ashton receives a letter from a stranger. A founding member of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. A tale of Guernsey during the German Occupation.

You can tell by reading the book that the author is a lover of books. Maybe that's what made the book so special to me.  Juliet says,"That's what I love about reading: one tiny thing will interest you in a book and that tiny thing will lead you onto another book, and another bit there will lead you onto a third book. It's geometrically progressive - all with no end in sight, and for no other reason than sheer enjoyment." 

My copy of this book has many many flags where I've marked things that I wanted to go back and reread. The quote above is one but probably my favorite is:

"I thought I was in love. In preparation for sharing my home with a husband, I made room for him so he wouldn't feel like a visiting aunt.  I cleared out half my dresser drawers, half my closet, half my medicine chest, half my desk..... Now my flat was meant for two instead of one.
      On the afternoon before our wedding, Rob was moving in the last of his clothes and belongings while [I was out]. When I was through, I tore home, flew up the stairs and threw open the door to find Rob sitting on a low stool in front of my bookcase, surrounded by cartons.  He was sealing the last one up with gummed tape and string.  There were eight boxes -- eight boxes of my books bound up and ready for the basement.
     He looked up and said, "Hello, darling. don't mind the mess, the porter said he'd help me carry these down to the basement." Looking toward my shelves he said 'Don't they look wonderful?'
     ...there were no words! I was too appalled to speak."
I could go on with their conversation - but I won't. He left. She unpacked the books. There was no wedding! I love this woman!!!! Especially when she says, "It wasn't a windy day; my hair always looks that way. Naturally curly hair is a curse, and don't ever let anyone tell you different." Juliet Ashton is a woman after my heart!!

The book is written as letters. It's a wonderful book. Easy to read - enjoyable. I encourage you to pick it up and read it. It is fun for everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment