Saturday, January 5, 2013

Coming Home by Karen Kingsbury






Don't ask me how this has happened but in all my reading - added to that - my age... I have never read Karen Kingsbury books before.... Strange isn't it. 

One of my friends in our small group suggested Kingsbury and was kind enough to loan me this book. - Not the first in this series but Ellen assured me it was her favorite. So I read it!

"Coming Home is a novel about tremendous victory and unprecedented loss, a story of faith and a forever kind of love, love that will stay with you long after the last page. This stand-alone novel will serve as either a grand introduction or a beautiful coda in the saga of the Baxter Family.
The Baxters make plans to come together for a summer lakeside reunion, a celebration like they haven’t had in years. But before the big day, the unthinkable happens. As the Baxter Family rallies together, memories come to light in the grief-stricken hours of waiting and praying, memories that bring healing and hope during a time when otherwise darkness might have the final word.
In a season that changes all of them, the brilliance of family love overshadows even the valley of heartache as the Baxters draw closer to God and each other. Along the way, secrets are revealed and the truth about the Baxter Family history is finally made known. Ultimately, in this portrait of family love, the Baxters cling to each other and to God’s promise of forever."

It is a very good book. I enjoyed reading it and am so thankful that Ellen suggested it to me. I would give this book a 5 out of 5 stars. However, it is a very sad book. I can see where it will bring many to tears. 

I avoided sad books for several years - my life was sad enough, I didn't need to add to that!! Since it's the only Kingsbury I've read, I have no idea if all her books carry this level of sadness. 

As much as I liked the book, as much as I think Kingsbury is a very good writer, as much as I appreciate the Christian and Spiritual aspects of the book, I do have a question...  Why do so many Christian books carry such a level of sadness in them? I understand the idea of showing the reader that through all adversity, through all catastrophe - God truly is the only answer - the only way to survive. But really? I do get bogged down - often - by the sadness of Christian writers.

That's my opinion only and I do know many many people don't agree with me - otherwise these authors wouldn't be selling their books. Even after saying all of this - it really is a good book and I do recommend it.

I will check out some of her other books because she is an excellent writer - also, I want to see if the "sadness" is limited in some of her other writings.

You can check out Karen Kingsbury's other books and learn more about her at her web site H.E.R.E. 

From the book:
"A phone call.
That was the way life changed for anyone who went through something like this. One minute they were going about life concerned with getting someplace on time or making dinner or running errands or planning a party. Then just like that, in the middle of an everyday-life kind of moment, the phone would ring. And nothing about life would ever be the same again."
I'm sure many of you have experienced this. 

Mine was a knock on the door.

Life changes.

Forever. 

God really is the only way to survive.

He gives us hope in our world of no hope.

How has He helped you cope?


No comments:

Post a Comment