Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Faith by Charles Colson and Harold Fickett





Recently Pastor Brad started a new sermon series titled “What Do Christians Believe.”  One of the references for this sermon was the book The Faith by Charles Colson and Harold Fickett.



The Faith is a book about what Christians believe, why they believe it, and why it matters. First the authors offer an overview of what challenges face the church today and then they move on to core issues. The authors describe 14 doctrines which are the essential doctrines that constitute the Christian faith. The book is filled with stories which illustrate the practice of these doctrines. The Faith deals with the importance of a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and the importance of understanding the essential doctrines that constitute the Christian faith. Not only does this book cover 14 essential Christian doctrines but it also covers such topics as the sanctity of human life, why liberalism has failed and how Christians use their beliefs and their relationship with Jesus Christ to be positive influences on society.



In the back of the book there is a list of the 14 essential doctrines described in this book. I found I got more out of the book by listing these doctrines in a word document and the cutting and pasting at least 1 paragraph that explained the doctrine. I facilitate a weekly bible study using study guides from the pastor’s sermons. By listing these doctrines not only did I understand them better but I can present them to my Bible study group better.



 I found this book to be an easy read. It would appeal to both the experienced Christian and the new believer. I am someone who likes to get to the point and I found that some of the stories were too long before the authors got to what they wanted to say. I feel all of the doctrines mentioned in this book are biblically correct. Of course any Christian’s belief system should be based on the truths of the Bible and any book written on the what Christians should believe should be referenced to the truths of the bible.  



In the first sermon of this series my pastor stated that “most Christians really don’t know what they believe and therefore can neither stand for, nor defend, their Christian faith, much less live it”. I also found this statement in the preface of this book. This statement stimulated my wife and I to review our own belief system, the statements of beliefs from the church we are currently attending and several that we attended in the past and to create our personal statement of beliefs. My wife listed this statement on her blog, http://b-allaboutbooks.blogspot.com//.  You may click on the link or just go to the top of this page and click on "What I Believe."

Randy Cohorn




We attend Cross Road Church in Wichita, Ks. The Senior Pastor is Brad Cooper. All of Pastor Brad’s sermons including the “What do Christians Believe” series can be viewed at http://www.crfbc.org.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment