Monday, January 7, 2013

Marland Tragedy: The Turbulent Story of a Forgotten Oklahoma Icon by Kim Brumley

I first published this review on April 6, 2010    

Last weekend Randy and I went to Ponca City.  we both enjoy museums and decided we wanted to visit the Marland Mansion , the Marland house and the Pioneer Woman Museum. This was a fascinating look at some of Oklahoma's history.

At the Mansion, in the gift shop they sell books! So I purchased Marland Tragedy:The Turbulent Story of a Forgotten Oklahoma Icon by Kim Brumley.

This book is very well written and very interesting. She has taken a bit of history and very eloquently told the story of E.W. Marland and Lyde Roberts Marland  She explores the unanswered questions surrounding his personal life and examines his business and political career. She also explores much about Lyde's life. Lyde is a fascinating character to me.

I would love to read more about her.  So I looked up some books about them online and discovered that these books have become quite the collectors items.  One I was really interested in Madness In the Heart by Edward Donahoe is listed at $650.00 on Amazon!! Palace On the Prairie: The Marland Family Story by Bob Burke, C.D. Northcutt and William Ziegenhain is listed from $185.00 to $200.00. Then there were a couple at "regular" prices. This makes me want to own them even more!! But not at those prices -  I want to find a deal!
If you don't know the Marland story, or if you have forgotten most of it - I urge you to pick up a book and reacquaint yourself with this bit of history. It's not a large book and is very easy to read . 

Lots scandal and lots of sadness - a very interesting book.

I highly recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment