Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Bone by Bone by Bone by Tony Johnston

I first published this review on June 3, 2010

As most of you know, I work at the local school. I'm on a 12 month contract so don't get summers off. This summer I have the opportunity to read some of the new books for the high school library. How lucky can a girl get?? :)

The first book I read was Bone by Bone by Bone  by Tony Johnston.  It is set in the 1940's, about a boy named David. David's Father is the local doctor and his dream is for David to be a doctor, too. David is a white boy and the most important thing in his life is his friendship with a black boy named Malcolm.

David and Malcolm do everything that you would/could imagine young boys in the 40's and 50's doing.  They have lots of fun together. Some of the adventures reminded me a bit of Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer. 

But the real story of this book is the struggle between David and his fiercely raciest father.
This book - to me - was rather slow reading but very good.  The author says at the beginning of the book that this story takes place in a time more innocent and slower than now - but that they were also mean days.  When black people had to fight to gain an equal chance at life.  The author was a child of those innocent-mean times. She apologizes for the raw language she used in the book but states "it is my father's language and reflects a way of thinking that has troubled me my whole life."

After reading her personal note in the book - then reading the book I get the impression Johnston was writing about her father. However - he could be anyone's father.

One thing so very noticeable to me while reading this book is that it reiterates that children don't see color.  They are born with an innocence  and only lose it when they are old enough to comprehend the conversations, beliefs and attitudes of adults.  My opinion is that children are taught to hate from those around them. They are not born with hate.

Fortunately in this book, David doesn't take on the hate of his father.  He sees that his father is wrong and tries to be better himself - he also tries to get his father to change.
David cannot comprehend how a doctor who works at saving lives could also be a part of the Ku Klux Klan.

It was a good book. The story is very good and I believe very well written for teens. But as I mentioned it is slow to read and does have some language.


No comments:

Post a Comment