Monday, January 7, 2013

same kind of different as me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore

I first reviewed this book on May 13, 2010

Non-Fiction

"Deborah grew up in Snyder, a tumbleweed-tossed West Texas town so flat you could stand on a cow chip and see New Mexico.  It's an everybody-knows-your-business place where schoolchildren dream of traveling to exotic places like Lubbock or Abilene." - I live there!!! Just not in Texas! This is a woman we - you and I can relate too. 

This book's description is :"A modern-day slave, an international art dealer, and the unlikely woman who bound them together."  The story of Deborah's faith - hope and the love she shows. And how her faith, hope and love changed the lives of Denver and Ron forever. 

This was such a good book. Prepare to be inspired as you read their story.  I have so many post-it flags stuck in this book its unbelievable!!

Denver had lived homeless much of his life and his wisdom is incredible.  Some of his wisdom:  "Our limitation is God's opportunity. When you get all the way to the end of your rope and there ain't nothin' you can do, that's when God takes over."

"That's the good thing about God. Since He can see right through your heart anyway, you can go on and tell Him what you really think."

"I heard that when white folks go fishin' they do something called catch and release... That really bothers me, I just can't figure it out.  'Cause when colored folks go fishin', we really proud of what we catch, and we take it and show it off to everybody that'll look.  Then we eat what we catch... in other word, we use it to sustain us.  So it really bothers me that white folks would go to all that trouble to catch a fish, then when they done caught it, just throw it back in the water... So, Mr. Ron, it occurred to me: if you is fishin' for a friend you just gon' catch and release then I ain't got no desire to be your friend.  But if you is lookin' for a real friend, then I'll be one forever."

Just a small bit of Denver's wisdom! 

You will NOT be disappointed in this book.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment