Monday, January 7, 2013

The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff

I first published this review on April 27, 2010

This book captivated me from the first sentence, "In the one year since I renounced my Mormon faith, and set out to tell the nation the truth about American polygamy, many people have wondered why I ever agreed to become a plural wife." Written by Ann Eliza Young, the 19th wife of Brigham Young. She wrote this in 1874.

The 19th Wife is a work of fiction. However, Ebershoff uses the lectures and memoirs of Ann Eliza Young to build his story.

After he begins with the story of Ann Eliza he then takes up a second narrative involving a polygamist family in present day Utah.

Ebershoff takes us deep into a world we often hear about, wonder about, and certainly question. We often hear about both sides of the controversy from the Mormon's who believe they are right,  to the Christians - and non Christians who see them as a cult.

But this is a hidden world. Even with all that has been in the news these last years - which gives us more questions and less answers.  All questions aren't answered by Ebershoff's book, but many are.

One question heard over and over, "Why would a woman allow herself to become a plural wife?" I believe Ebershoff does as good a job as any to answer this question. If you were raised on fried food all your life - you continue to eat it, until it is proven to you that is not the thing to do - for various reasons. - I know, maybe fried food is not a good analogy, yet it really is this simple.

    I really enjoyed this book. Well written, enough history to make it interesting and even made me want to do some research on my own - but with the secondary narrative makes it fast moving and enjoyable. It irritated me - captivated me - and like I said caused me to do some of my own research just out of curiosity. 
 

[this review was written before the television show "Sister Wives" became a part of our culture]


No comments:

Post a Comment