Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Book Club

I first published this review on June 29, 2010

 



The Book Club

This is a picture of my wonderful book club. Our first meeting was May 26, 1999. When I moved back to the states from Jamaica I wanted to be in a book club. While in Jamaica one of the few tv shows we could get was Oprah. I was enthralled by her "book club" promotion. Then when I moved back to Ringwood, I called my dear friend Diane and said if she would invite the people, I would do all the work!! - because at the time I didn't  know anyone here well enough to  know who to invite. That's how the "THE BOOK CLUB" began.

We did try to come up with an original name for our club but decided most were too cutesy! - However clever! So we just stuck with The Book Club! We meet once a month and our meetings always include eating out! Good books - Good friends - Good food!!

Our first meeting was at Diane's house in Enid and we had 6 ladies attend. The first book we read was "Where the Heart Is" by an Oklahoma author, Billie Letts.  Our first summer we met in homes, since then we usually meet at restaurants. Once in awhile we still go to homes. 

We've gone to Debra's and enjoyed her gardens. We had a tea party at my house.  When a book we've read comes out as a movie, we often meet at Diane's and watch the movie.  We have discovered over the years that Mike, Diane's husband is a great cook!!! - as is Diane. :)

We've read 126 books in our 11 years and 2 months. We all have different favorites! We do agree that the book that initiated the most discussion was "The Wounded Spirit" by Frank Peretti. The most disturbing book was "We Need to Talk About Kevin" by Lionel Shriver. Each of us has our own favorites. The members will all attest that I have too many favorites!!

Over time we have lost members for different reasons, death, relocation, didn't like our book choices :), too busy - so many different reasons! We've had 20 different ladies attend over the years. Four of these were guests and visited one time only.  Of the seven attending now,  three are original members!  Diane, Debra and I have attended since the beginning. Charlotte L. joined us in January of 2000 and we consider her an original!  Charolette B. joined in 2002, Pam M. in 2004 and Jane D. in 2006. Over the years we have become great friends and have read some great books and some not so great books!!


I encourage everyone to pick up a book and read it. Read to enjoy. Read to learn. Read to improve your life. Reading is something that can't be taken away from you.


My life is enriched because of my book club. Many members of my club have held me up when I've needed it. They've encouraged and loved.  So besides making lasting friends, I've been able to read a variety of books! Some book suggestions have taken each of us out of our comfort zone at one time or another. 

"Comfort can be a dangerous thing. You stick around home all the time where it’s safe and nothing ever changes, and before you know it, you get set in your ways and you quit learning, you quit changing, you don’t grow anymore."  Frank Peretti

Stepping outside of your comfort zone in reading makes you a better person.

Grow as a person.
Read a book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment