Monday, January 7, 2013

The Wildwater Walking Club by Claire Cook

I first published this review on April 8, 2010

 After spending a month on Kingsolver's book, The Wildwater Walking Club by Claire Cook was refreshing to pick up. Very fun, light reading and I finished it in one Saturday afternoon!

Claire Cook is also the author of "Must Love Dogs" which I also enjoyed.

Noreen Kelly, the main character, takes a buyout from her job, lost her boyfriend, and is in her 40's. In all the changes of her life she realizes that she has let her career define her. She has forgotten who she is. So with the income generated by her buyout she is able to take her time, enjoy her life, and figure out who she really is.

Almost by accident she begins walking. Two new friends join her. So they walk and talk. Talk and walk. 

Cook mentions "10,000 Steps" in this book. I've been trying to change my lifestyle to a more healthy way of living and have been walking more, working out regularly so this mention of 10000 steps intrigued me. I found this web site: http://www.thewalkingsite.com/10000steps.html ,got a pedometer and started keeping track of my steps. I have found that with my short legs, walking 10000 steps isn't as far as it is for the ladies in this book!! :)   Using The Wildwater Walking Club as my example, when I reach the afternoon, if I haven't walked 10000 steps - I go out and walk some more. Now, being honest I will admit, I don't walk the 10000 steps everyday - but almost. 

I always enjoy a good book. I especially enjoy a good book that challenges me to change something in my life for the better.

Claire Cook has given us an enjoyable book, an easy read and if you let it - a book to challenge you to get up and move!! 

I recommend this book. 

I recommend you get a pedometer and start walking!! 

It's fun and it's an easy exercise!!



No comments:

Post a Comment