Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Leota's Garden by Francine Rivers

Post from The Book Club Newsletter - August 1999
by Brenda 

LEOTA'S GARDEN by Francine Rivers

"Every once in a while a book comes along that never quite leaves your mind.  It's a volume - that once you've finished the last page - that last sentence, you don't want to put it down.  You just sit and hold it.  Thinking of the characters, the dynamics, the message, "Leota's Garden" is such a book.

"Leota is 84 and her once beautiful garden is in ruins. All her efforts to reconcile with her adult children have been fruitless.  She voices her despair to God, her only friend. God brings a wind of change through unlikely means.  A college student and the granddaughter Leota never hoped to know. This is a book of relationships and the author explores a theme with countless implications for our lives today - and especially the lives of older people and the answers that society has for us about the care of the elderly."

Maybe this book touched me the way it did because of where I am in my life.  Helping to care for my frail Mother-in-law, watching my parents as they age, -- aging myself.  all I can add is that this book is on my shelves of favorite books.

Just writing this review has started me thinking all over again about Leota and her garden so I know I will be in a thoughtful mood all day. That's just the kind of book it is."




 

No comments:

Post a Comment