Thursday, January 10, 2013

Discover Your God-Given Gifts by Don and Katie Fortune

I first published this review May 17, 2011

I have always enjoyed books that tell me more about myself. I devoured Florence Littauer's books about our personality traits. Was even privileged enough to take her training and did workshops for several years about our personality's and why we act the way we do. So several years ago when I ran across Don and Katie Fortune's book Discover Your God-Given Gifts I picked it up and I loved it. I have taught many classes using this book as a guide.

In school I HATED tests! Never did well on tests! (probably didn't study enough or didn't study right!) but for some reason I'll never understand, I love to read books that give me a test! Especially if I'm going to learn more about what makes people (me) tick.

Fortune's book is a "biblical handbook to help you discover... 
  • Why you think and act the way you do 
  • How gifts affect your relationships
  • What career or ministry suits you best
  • How using your gifts will bring you joy."
 
I enjoyed every chapter of this book.
They have also written a book for discovering your children's gifts. I would suggest this for homeschooling, as well as church groups, or family studies or devotionals.

The authors divide gifts into three main areas:
  • 1 Corinthians are the Manifestation Gifts
  • Ephesians are the Ministry Gifts 
  • Romans are the Motivational Gifts

They also give very easy to understand, interesting to do questionnaires. - To help each of us understand what our gifts are and the characteristics of our gifts. 

Practical applications are a big part of understanding God's ideal for our lives and the Fortune's don't just tell us who we are with God's guidance but they also show us how to live fully in the gifts God gives to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment