Monday, January 7, 2013

Time and Again by Jack Finney

I first reviewed this book on March 12, 2010

Jack Finney's classic illustrated novel has been captivating readers for at least 35 years. This is the story of a young man enlisted in a secret government experiment. This has been one of my favorite books since I recieved a copy of it from a friend in 1975.  I am NOT a science fiction fan - but to me it didn't seem like science fiction!! :)

This book includes romance, action, history and time travel.

Si Morley is transported from the mid 20th century to New York City in 1882. He is recruited for a secret government project trying to achieve time travel.  Instead of using physical machine travel they embed themselves in the history and culture of the time they are wanting to visit.

Finney's detail of life in New York City at that  time is very interesting. He also addresses the dangers of interfering with history.

We read this in book club at my suggestion many years ago. Only two of us really liked it! Most thought it was too detailed and too "wordy". A couple didn't like the concept of  "time travel". One of the youngest members of our club didn't like it "because it was too dated." We teased her about that because it is set in the 1970's! Which was very familiar to the rest of us!

As I mentioned earlier - this is one of my favorite books.  I haven't read it in 10 years but can still recall many scenes from the book.


I highly recommend this book - if you enjoy detailed writing and if you enjoy history.


No comments:

Post a Comment