Thursday, January 10, 2013

Friends Found in Books

I first published this June 9, 2011

(I don't sell collectable books anymore)


Part of the joy of listing books to sell is that I usually try to list only collectable books. I mostly get them at auctions and thrift stores. Everyone that knows me, knows that not only do I like reading books, I enjoy having books all around me!

In buying used books - especially the old ones - so many times there are names, dates, comments written inside the books. That is a special surprising joy - to see that someone else loved the book enough to write in it.

This book, "The Count of Mente Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas is really in too bad of shape to list. Lots of damage on the cover and spine. However the pages are all intact. I had such a wonderful surprise when I opened this book. In the most beautiful handwriting ever - written with an ink pen it says:

"To Oliver ----
Christmas, 1928
From William ------ --------

     Of the many fine friendships that we have the opportunity of cultivating as we travel through life, perhaps one of the finest is to be found in the lasting friendship of good books.  The man or woman who avails himself of every opportunity to read good books soon realizes that he is building a friendship which the vicissitudes of our human existence cannot destroy.  Such a friendship is indeed priceless. It is with a great deal of pleasure that I present to you a good friend of mine, 'The Count of Monte Cristo.'

Your Friend
William ------ --------"

Many times when I've finished a book I realize I miss the people I've met within it's pages. How fun it is to find others that feel the same way.  

In what books have you found friends?

    

No comments:

Post a Comment